Thursday, May 2, 2013

The Job Hunt

About a year ago I was let go from a job that I had forever and ever. After the shock wore off, I realized I was much happier not being there. However, that full time job eludes me. I have a nice part time job, but am looking for something more. I feel like I should put job applier down on my list of job skills! I have noticed that companies all use the same format for applications. The worst are the ones that use a questionnaire  designed for high school students.

Earlier in the week I was applying for a job at a department store. Most applications have a handful of questions, but this one shocked me a little-I don't know why. Then it had an entire section of math questions. Most questions are word problems centered around cashiering problems. This one though was different. It had over 20 questions with these types of math problems:  6+4(5-4)(x20)+(10-2)=. After the fifth one, I started guessing.  After the math questions, it had a whole section on theft. This was 20 minutes into the application, so I answered a and e on all of the questions, not realizing until it was too late that E is the worst case scenario. I'm guessing I won't be hearing back from this employer, lol....

The same day I did that assessment test I heard back from a place I submitted an application stating that they were having a job fair and I should stop by.  They called at 1:30 and the job fair started at 3pm. Um, hello? A little warning would have been nice! I would have gone, but as luck would have it I had to work that night. I think with this job market employers can choose to be picky. I mean Macy's wants you to have a years experience in cosmetics, fine jewelry, apparel or another one of their departments before you are hired. I have 6 months experience in apparel and a degree and was turned down.  The hunt continues!!

1 comment:

  1. I had an employer call once for an interview and ask how soon I could be there. I had an hour and a half to get ready. It was actually nice because I didn't have time to get nervous! I didn't the job, though, whomp-whomp.

    ReplyDelete