Thursday, October 4, 2012

Movie Review: Midnight Bayou

 I have a confession to make. I adore cheesy movies. I especially love the lifetime cheesy movies. There is just something about losing myself in a movie and other people's problems that I love.  I picked Midnight Bayou up from the library.

Midnight Bayou is based on a Nora Roberts book, and while I love romances, I've only actually ever read one of her books. (However, I love her writing as J.D. Robb and am up to book five in that series with no hope of ever catching up.)

I think it's safe to say that my favorite thing about this movie was Jerry O'Connell. He's been a Hollywood crush of mine since his days on the sci fi show Sliders. The movie is about a guy from Boston who visits his best friend from law school in New Orleans during Mardi Gras in 2001. They take a wrong turn and drive by this creepy house that you just know is haunted. He's the only one of his friends who sees someone standing in the middle of the road. He makes them stop, only to discover there isn't anyone there. He then notices the house, and falls in love with it. His friends tell him to forget it-that it has bad mojo.

Fast Forward nine years. He breaks off an engagement, buys the house, and opens a legal clinic with his best friend who he still kept in touch with. His closest neighbor lives on the bayou, and she sends her granddaughter over to bring him some kind of bread. The two of course feel an instant connection, but try to ignore it.

He isn't there that long before weird stuff starts happening to him. He tries explaining it away, but it doesn't work. What I liked best is that once you think have everything figured out, they throw in a cool twist at the end.

The movie was a lot of fun, and I now really want to read the book!

No comments:

Post a Comment